The Florida Law Group: Addressing Medical Negligence During Birth
Obstetricians are trained and required to safeguard the health of you and your child and to take necessary measures to ensure a successful and safe delivery. Complications may arise during labor that signal to a doctor that a Cesarean-section (C-section) birth may be needed to mitigate any dangers to you or your baby. If you recently suffered tragic consequences at the hands of a doctor who failed to recognize warning signs and perform a necessary C-section, take action with the help of our Tampa birth injury attorneys at The Florida Law Group. Our legal team is led by a Board Certified Civil Trial Specialist by The National Board of Trial Advocacy.
When is a C-Section Necessary?
There are multiple signs that a mother’s or child’s safety may be in jeopardy unless a C-section birth is performed. Knowing these signs can help you determine if injuries sustained during childbirth were caused by your doctor’s negligence.
A Cesarean-section birth is recommended in the following scenarios:
- If your baby is in a breech position (not head-down) before delivery
- If there is a decrease in blood supply to the placenta before birth
- If the size of your baby is estimated to be more than 9 lbs.
- If you have a known existing medical condition such as heart disease that may be made worse through labor
- If your baby has a known health problem such as spina bifida
- If the placenta is blocking the cervix
- If there are open sores from genital herpes
- If you are HIV positive
- Certain multiple birth scenarios including twins that share one amniotic sac, three babies or more, or conjoined twins
- Prolonged, difficult labor
- If the baby is showing significant signs of fetal distress
A competent doctor should be able to determine if a C-section delivery will be safer for you and your child. In the event that he or she does not and serious complications arise during a vaginal delivery, you may have the right to hold your doctor accountable for medical malpractice.
Have Questions? Contact Our Tampa Personal Injury Lawyers.
At The Florida Law Group, we are dedicated to ensuring that our clients do not have to suffer any more than already have at the hands of a negligent doctor. Pregnancy should be a joyful and happy occasion for you and your family and you should be able to trust that your doctor will keep you safe and healthy. If a doctor’s carelessness and failure to do the job that he is trained to do led to a preventable birth injury, we want to help you take action.